Municipalities

Below you will find a list of municipalities where our service is available.

Erandio

Erandio stands on the right bank of the river Nervión. Its strategic location, on the banks of the river estuary, near the main population centres of Metropolitan Bilbao, have led to the heavy industrial development of the area between La Campa and the Bilbao river estuary. However, the hamlets known as Goiherri and Erandio Goikoa, the original centre of the old town, still maintain their rural character.

The town comprises seven historical hamlets. Altzaga Astrabudua, Erandio-Goikoa, Arriaga, Goiherri, Lutxana-Enekuri and Asua-Lauroeta.

The history of Erandio has been marked by successive annexations and disannexations. On October 31 1526 the parish church of San Juan Bautista de Leioa was split from Erandio, where it had been answerable to the church of Santa María during the Middle Ages.

On December 5, 1836 during the First Carlist War the bridge at Lutxana was the site of a battle between Carlist and Liberal forces. Then, during a visit to the area in 1865, Queen Isabel II authorised the placing of Lutxana and part of Enekuri under the jurisdiction of Erandio. Fifty-nine years later, in 1924, Lutxana was split from Erandio once again and annexed into Bilbao.

In 1940, as the growth of Bilbao necessitated an expansion of the city limits, Erandio was one of the surrounding tons and districts annexed into the city. It remained part of Bilbao until January 1, 1983, when it once again split off to form a separate municipality. 

See details of Erandio

Mungia

All these hills surround the valley of the River Butron, which rises in Mount Bizkargi (536 m.) and crosses the whole district before flowing into the Plentzia estuary. There are also many smaller streams and underground springs in the area, including the Atxuri, Trobika, Lauromendi, Atebarri and Mantzorriko Erreka, all of which are tributaries of the Butron. They supply the many fountains in the town, and were once used to drive more than 20 watermills, some of which are still standing.  

Mungia borders to the north on the municipalities of Bakio and Bermeo, to the south on Derio, Zamudio and Gamiz-Fika, to the east on Meñaka and Gamiz-Fika to the west on Loiu, Gatika and Jatabe. It stands at the centre of a supramunicipal district comprising the municipalities of Arrieta, Gamiz-Fika, Gatika, Laukiniz, Jatabe-Maruri Meñaka, Fruiz and Bakio as well as Mungia itself.  

Mungia has a population of 15,984, 7,812 men and 8,172 women. 

Local Economy 

Mungia has several growing industrial estates close to the town centre: Zabalondo, at the entrance to the town from the dual carriageway linking it to Bilbao; Atxuri,on the road to Gatika; Billela, on the road to Maruri; Belako , at the exit from the town towards Gernika; and Trobika, on the way out of the town on the Bermeo road.

See details of Mungia

Zamudio

Zamudio is located in the middle of Valle del Txorierri (Txorierri Valley), and has been from the medieval an important communications point. However, Zamudio has nowadays become a technological reference for innovation, investigation and development for the leading industry of the 21st century (biomedicines, information systems, renewable energies, or aeronautics, to mention just a few). Zamudio is too a must visit for those in their peregrination to Santiago de Compostela through the Camino de la Costa (Route by the Coast).

Whether you find yourself in Zamudio for cultural or professional reasons, don't hesitate to enjoy our famous gastronomy at any of the restaurants in the area or to stay at any of our hotels or rural tourist house.

                                       Thanks and come again!

www.zamudiokoudala.net

See details of Zamudio

Lezama

A parish belonging to the supramunicipal district of Uribe. Its numerous historic family mansions and tower keeps evidence the Medieval roots of the town.

The town of Lezama is located in the Txorierri Valley, a flat area, bordered by two lines of mountains and with easy communications with the Butrón and Nervión river valleys. This has been a determining factor in the town´s historical development.

The industrial expansion of the valley has modified the original rural landscape of Lezama. Nevertheless, the landscape and environmental quality of the original village (Aretxalde) and its districts is well preserved. Although most of the population is currently employed in the industrial and services sectors, the primary sector is still very important. The area features a number of modern farms, market gardens, rural guesthouses and hostels and a large number of wineries that produce the local young wine "txakoli" under the protection of the Bizkaiko Txakolina Appellation d´Origine.

A gravel path leads up from near the Elorrixueta recreation ground to a grassy hilltop dotted with the remains of concrete bunkers which once formed part of the so-called "iron line" built to defend the area in the Spanish Civil War. Machine-gun emplacements and artillery positions can still be made out. The whole hilltop is riddled with tunnels through which troops could move between the various gun positions without exposing themselves to enemy fire. The magnificent views show what a strategic location this was, and explain why it was chosen as a gun position.

The town´s range of sporting activities includes a riding school, but without doubt the main attraction is the installations of Bilbao´s football team Athletic Club. These include the club´s training grounds and youth team headquarters.

See details of Lezama

Derio

The town of Derio is located in the heart of the Txorierri Valley. The natural features of this area have facilitated the construction of roadways and other forms of transportation, favouring communications between Derio and the Butrón and Nervión Valleys, as well as with the rest of the Txorierri area. The nearby city of Bilbao has also played an important part in the history of the municipality.

In the Spanish Civil War Derio was attacked by the bombers of the Condor Legion in the lead-up to the taking of Bilbao on June 19, 1937 by the 5th Navarre Brigade. The bombing damaged the town cemetery, which was later to become infamous as the site of executions by firing squad. The former seminary, where battalions of the Basque army were billeted, was also bombed in May 1937 prior to the occupation of Bilbao, though the building suffered no major damage.  

The agricultural character of Derio can be seen in its old part, located halfway up the mountainside, around the Church of San Cristóbal, which today is quite far from the most densely populated area of Derio. The old part includes the Church of San Cristóbal, the cemetery and a number of farmhouses built nearby. Today, broad areas of the municipality still preserve their rural atmosphere against a background of meadows, small vineyards, greenhouses and market gardens.

Over recent years, the centre of the municipality of Derio has moved to the hamlet known as Arteaga, thanks to its excellent position. Today, Derio, the largest population centre in Txorierri, is enjoying considerable demographic and economic growth, favoured by the creation of new technology and industrial centres, as well as the construction of residential estates. The town offers all main services as well as sports, health and cultural facilities.

See details of Derio

Sondika

There are records dating back to the 12th century of the parish of Sondika, on the plain of the River Asua, which flows into the Nervión Estuary just 3 km from Bilbao. Sondika lies on the slopes of Mount Artxanda, from whose top the city of Bilbao can be seen to the south/south-west and the district of Txorierri to the north/north-east. The fertile, valley land of this latter area led to farming being the mainstay of the local economy, though today the area is occupied by a mix of residential areas and business parks.

The "parish" (in Spanish "anteiglesia") is a type of district found frequently in Bizkaia. Originally it meant a community organised around a church, governed by an assembly of local residents who held their meetings in the porch or atrium of the parish church.

This history of Sondika took a radical new turn in 1939 when work began there on an airport to serve Bilbao. Links between the two parts of the municipality were effectively severed: the town centre was moved and the 17th century church of San Juan was demolished. Under the altar a Romanesque capital was discovered. The cemetery also had to be transferred to its current location in the fields of San Juan.

The first aircraft landed at Sondika Airport in 1948. The construction of the airport not only split the municipality into two and led to the demolishing of part of the town centre, but actually resulted in Sondika being annexed into Bilbao in 1966. It did not recover its status as a separate municipality until 31-12-1982.

Another landmark date in the history of Sondika was 19-11-2000, when the new airport terminal (on land belonging to the neighbouring municipality of Loiu) was opened.

Sondika currently has a population of around 5000, and has lost the bustle that came with proximity to the airport. The old terminal is now used only for cargo, and the 6000 m2 terminal building stands empty until a suitable use for it is found. Local residents now rate quality of life in the town as good. (www.sondika.org)

Our Taxis in Sondika:

Sondika has 62 cabs. The reason why a town of 5000 people has so many cabs is that from 1948 to 2000 the passenger terminal of Bilbao Airport was located there.

Currently, 61 of those cabs work out of the airport and one, allocated by rote, serves the town itself. This cab is connected to the Radio Taxi system on tel. 94 480 09 09.

The rank is located on Calle Goiri Erdikoa, beside the large house from which the street takes its name, which is now a bar/restaurant run by the Basque Nationalist Party.

See details of Sondika

Ortuella

Ortuella stands on the left bank of the Bilbao river estuary in the province of Bizkaia. The terrain in the area is rough, and the municipality forms part of the province's mining heritage along with Abanto-Zierbena and the Trápaga-Trapagaran valley. Its rich veins of iron ore played a major role in the history and economy of the area.

Mount Triano was renowned for the richness of its iron ore. Open cast mines were worked there for centuries, supplying the needs of the iron-works of the province.

The industrial revolution in the mid 19th century, the founding of the Altos Hornos company with its blast furnaces, the huge demand from Britain for iron ore and the ease with which ore could be exported from the nearby port resulted in a boom in the area's mining industry.

Up to 1901 Ortuella was part of the municipality of Santurce. In that year it was officially named Santurce-Ortuella and split from Santurce Antiguo ("Old Santurce", which is the area still known as "Santurce" today). It was the increase in population following the late 19th century boom in mining that lay behind its establishment as a separate municipality. In 1979 it took its present name of Ortuella.

See details of Ortuella

LoiuAeropuerto

Bilbao airport:(code IATA:BIO, code ICAO:LEBB) is a spanish international airport belonging to Aena 5 km from the city of Bilbao. The old terminal and much of the airport services are in Sondika, while the new terminal is in Lujua.

See details of LoiuAeropuerto

Santurtzi

www.ayto-santurtzi.es

See details of Santurtzi

Route Calculator

Use calculator to find routes around the cost of your trip.

Calculates the route you need

Airport

  • Fares
  • Corporate Service
  • Service for Tourist taxi
Detailed information Airport

Municipalities 

Locate information, maps, telephone numbers... for the municipalities covered by FEMADE.

View the towns where we work

News 

Walkway on site AIRPORT WORKS. On 7th of October 2011 a basque media wrote an a

See more information about the news